Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Long, hot, busy summer

The title sums it up. As cold as it was in January and February, this summer has been HOT. It has been quite busy as well. We have traveled more than we thought we would due to health issues with family members. However, now we are back home, and the fall semester at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary will start tomorrow.

My courses will include Old Testament I: Pentateuch and Former Prophets, Christian Theology I, Biblical Greek I, Pastoral Ministry/Equipping Center, and Chapel Choir. Each of these will have its challenges, but the knowledge I expect to gain will be valuable.

Although I have been a Christian for a long time, and have read the Old Testament multiple times, there is a depth to it, and there is always more to learn from it. Christian Theology should be a fascinating course, but I expect it will be quite difficult. It will challenge me to examine deeply what I believe to ensure it is indeed Christian and biblical. Biblical Greek will help me to look at the New Testament and understand the nuances of language that may not be clearly expressed in a translation. Pastoral Ministry/Equipping Center will be one to help me gain practical experience in a local church setting. Chapel Choir might not seem to fit with the rest of the courses, but it is a privilege to sing and help in the worship of SEBTS chapel services. It isn't as easy as it sounds, as this choir has a high quality of singers and works on some very challenging material.

I thank God that I have the opportunity to attend SEBTS and receive the training I will need in future service to my LORD and Savior. I may have retired from active duty in the US Army, but one never retires from serving the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment